Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A week of HIGHS and LOWS



Miracle keyboard from a member to help me with my assignment to accompany the choir at the Christmas devotional.
December 1, 2014
         IT’S DECEMBER!!! I can’t believe it.  Time is flying by for me.  I went to Aldeota with Elder Rodgers to practice for a choir piece with Sister Evans.  I am getting good at sight reading, but overall my piano skills are really terrible.  I suppose that is to be expected when I never have the chance to practice. I am kindof worried about how I will manage at the U in the music school after my mission.  After that, we went to lunch at Burger King which is a tradition for missionaries in Aldeota.  So much so that I ran into Elder Curty and Elder Zuniga.  That made my week super awesome because Elder Curty in finishing his mission on December 15th and I wouldn’t have had a chance to say goodbye to him before he left.  He was basically my trainer when I first arrived in Brazil and I am sure that I would not have survived without his help.  I found out that my actual trainer is dating a 16 year old from his last area in the mission. Yeah, there are lots of stories about him and I am just blessed to have had Elder Curty to get me through that time. Anyways, Elder Curty will be going home to Rio and he lives very near where Taylor is currently serving so he is going to go and see if he can go on some teaching appointments with her before she leaves on the 17th. That would be awesome!
December 2, 2014
         Lunch today was rather interesting.  We didn’t have another man with us, so our investigator called one of her friends so that we could eat with them.  And…this friend was way out there.  Haha….the missionaries had already taught him in the past so he recounted the Joseph Smith story in a rather interesting manner.  He told us that Joseph came out of the jungle and was basically this mysterious forest man until one day a man appeared to him and told him to start a church.  Pretty weird, and when we tried to tell him the true story, he was convinced that he was right.  The rest of our lessons kind of followed suit and were mostly annoying.  We are going to have to drop a lot of people.
December 3, 2014
         I am concerned about M.  He is a great investigator and already believes everything.  But he never comes to church.  Anyways, we taught his 17 year old girlfriend about the Book of Mormon and it actually went a lot better than I thought it would.  She is holding him back though because every time he has a free Sunday, she wants him to do stuff with her. 
         Probably our only solid investigator with a baptismal date, postponed her baptism again because she is planning on going out of town this weekend.  It is getting harder and harder to get her to keep her commitments. 
December 4, 2014
         We had an investigator that we dropped a while back. He has read a good part of the Book of Mormon but he never has prayed about it and he doesn’t go to church.  Well we just stopped by to say hello and we had a chance to teach him a little about prayer.  We read 2 Nephi 32:8-9 that talks about how it is an evil spirit that teaches a man not to pray, and also 2 Nephi 33 when Nephi talks about how Christ himself will show you that these words are true.  Well, surprisingly he committed to come to church to learn more.
         We visited another investigator C. who is really dedicated and progressing well, but can’t make it to church because she visits her daughter in jail on Sundays.  We had a lesson with her and her sisters and nieces and nephews, but basically none of them except C. were interested.  When we talked about sacrifice and how God blesses us when we put Him above all else, we challenged her to go to church again.  She told us that she would visit her daughter this Sunday just to let her know that she would not see her the following week because she was going to go to church with us.  That really made my day!
December 5, 2014
Elder Y. didn't want to take the shirt off to iron it...he is lucky he didn't get hurt.
         We taught I. this morning and his wife about eternal marriage and he seemed a bit off.  It always happens when his wife is around. Anyways, she actually got a bit more interested and we ended up having a good lesson.  Right after that we went on splits with Elder Gustafsen and we taught a LOT in his area.  Some of the lessons were good, but others not so much.  When I got back, it turned out that every appointment in our area fell through and Elder H. and my comp only did a few contacts.  What???  He is our zone leader out with my greenie and they didn’t do any contacts.? Uggh.
December 6, 2014
         Boring and frustrating Saturday. Our investigator C. was going to get baptized, but didn’t show us. She was super excited to be baptized and was ready and everything. BUT when the time came, we couldn’t find her.  We were waiting outside her house when she finally showed up… hammered.' She just walked past us into the house and refused to talk to us. She said that we should pass by only on Monday. Yeah, what is sad is that she didn't have a problem with drinking, she just decided to go out to a party with her friends and have a good time right before her baptism. Oh well, she knows exactly what God wants her to do. Sadly, we can only lead a horse to water, but we can't make him drink. (apparently Satan gets them to drink from another well.)
December 7, 2014
         Finally someone came to church today.  It was one of our investigators sisters….and she ended up liking it a lot. We found out after church that this lady had an interest in the church about a year ago, but stopped coming to church because the missionaries made some self righteous remarks that offended her.  We talked to her for a while and she is going to read the Book of Mormon again.  After church we had an awesome dinner with a great family.  They happen to have an electric keyboard that they let me borrow for the next week so that I could practice for the choir…YEAH, this was a miracle that I really needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment