Monday, December 22, 2014

First line of business - clean graffiti off chapel!


December 22, 2014
         I have been so busy that I haven’t had time to write in my journal this week. So much has happened that I don’t even know where to begin.  First of all, I got transferred which is a good thing because it is hard on missionaries to stay in the same place for a long time.  Unfortunately, we were just getting ready to baptize several people and starting to finally have some success in teaching.  I will miss Elder Yarrington and I hope that he will be okay.  Anyway, now I am in Conjunto Ceara.  A good way to know what kind of area it is to picture what I saw when I went to church for the first time.  They actually have a nice little chapel (much better than not having one at all like in my last area.) Somehow someone got onto the secured church grounds and painted graffiti all over the front.  Yeah it left me with a bad first impression. My new companion is Elder Ferrao.  He said that it has been on the church for over a month now. I am planning a service project with the Elder’s quorum to clean it up.
My companion is a great guy from Rio Grande de Sul, which is a part of Brazil that is right on the border with Uruguay.  He said that in one day he has crossed the border at least 6 times because there is no regulation of the border in that part of the country. He is the youngest of 8 kids and all of his siblings have served missions (or are serving.)  He said that ever since he was 6 years old his family has had a member of their family gone for Christmas.  We get along super well and I am very blessed because he is the only missionary left in this area from the last transfer.  He helps me to find my way around and to meet people.  This area is a bit difficult because we have no teaching pool and everyone we meet says they don’t have time to talk to us until next year…in other words, after the holidays. 

The other elders living in the house are Elder Anderson – from Michigan and Elder Dorneles from Brazil.  Elder Anderson is teaching me a few tricks on the rubics cube.  He served in Oklahoma for almost a year as a visa waiter, but finally made it here a little while ago.  He is doing really well with the language and is the senior companion.  I have known Elder D. for a while now.  We were in the same zone a long time ago, then we were transferred into the same zone again, and then we were moved into the same house and served in the same ward, and now we were both transferred to a different area together.  Now I am his district leader and it might be a challenge because we know each other so well.
I don’t have much time left, so I will close with letting you know that I am happy and that I am looking forward to my new challenge. I can’t wait to talk to you on Christmas!!! Please send pictures of Taylor’s reunion.  I am glad that she is home for Christmas with the family.  Believe it or not, I am not trunky – I am feeling strong and ready to work. 



No comments:

Post a Comment