Saturday, January 3, 2015

"I'll be Home NEXT Christmas"

 December 23, 2014

         So just about everything fell through today.  We were visiting some investigators with member, but none of them were home so he took us to visit with all of his friends in that area and we got a bunch of referrals from everyone.  Out of all of the referrals, the most interested two people was a young couple who are living together… really really young (the guy is 19 and the girl is 15.)

         Anyway, we went to a baptism tonight for a former member of the church.  One of our investigators was there and she seemed to have a good experience.  I still haven’t met her because her schedule has prevented her from making an appointment.

December 24, 2014

         Talk about a hard day! The only thing that was good was the lunch.  We had turkey for our Christmas Eve dinner.  Lunch was in the condominium complex where the were 40 children under the age of 12 baptized by one set of elders. (all for the sake of playing the numbers game) That is so ridiculous that NO ONE in the complex wants to talk to us.

         Everyone, even the members, was too busy to talk to us.  That is just the way it is in Brazil at Christmas time. I am super excited for my Skype call home tomorrow!

December 25, 2014

         We tried to get everything set up in advance for the call, especially since last year my call  was a major fail.  The owner of a Lan house promised he would open for us to make our calls and then he didn’t show up.  So we ran around like crazy at the last minute to find a member who would let us make the calls. Wow, talking with the family is really kind of sad.  You wait for six months, or more, and then you only get 40 minutes.  I have looked forward to this for so long and then it just flies by and is over.  Elder Anderson and I played our guitars and sang, “We’ll be Home NEXT Christmas.”  My favorite part of the day was getting to talk to my brother Levi in Chile.  He got super emotional and I even started to tear up with the things he was saying to me.  I am really proud of how well he is doing and how quickly he is learning to be a missionary. 

         After our Skype calls, the zone had a barbeque (with special permission from the president.)  It was pretty all right I guess.  We ate a lot, but is was a big waste of time. Elder Anderson made cinnamon rolls but no one even bothered to thank him.  The zone seemed a little bit dead to me. 

         Funny story, back in the day of the randomly baptizing missionaries, there was a young guy baptized who thinks that we are all Gods and that we can just pray to ourselves.  My companion says that when he has taught him in the past, it is just completely crazy.  He really is so ill that he cannot possibly make decisions for himself.  Most of the time he is very drunk and never comes to church, but we still try our best to help him.

December 26, 2014

         So we talked to one of our investigators who is reading the Book of Mormon and praying about it.  He is very receptive and has a lot of questions for us.  One of his friends is a pastor and he trash talks the church all the time.  That is very hard for us, but we never criticize other religions.

         I finally met and investigator who has been taking the lessons for a long time.  She is keeping the commandments but is afraid of committing to baptism.  She has some good friendships with members of the ward, so that helps us in our teaching.

December 27, 2014

         We went on exchanges today and I wasn’t all that impressed with how the work is going in their area.  The companionship is getting along better, but their planning needs work.  In the beginning of my mission, the one good thing that I learned was that you have to “plan with your head, and not your legs.”  That day, they definitely planned with their legs.  Everything fell through and we ended up walking from one side of the area to the other and back again trying to talk to some of their old contacts/investigators. 

         We also had our meeting with the ward mission leader.  We have a really small ward of about 80-120 members in attendance.  What I learned was that we have over 500 members on the ward roster!!!  So there are more than 350 inactive members.  We actually have a very small area that our ward covers.  We can walk from one end of the boundary to the other in 40 minutes.  Basically, all of the doors have been knocked.  So, we will be focusing on reactivation and hopefully we can have some success.  


No comments:

Post a Comment