Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Spaghetti Solutions


Elder Colvin forgets how to take a selfie.
July 28, 2014
            Man, I sound like a crybaby…(referring to last week’s journal entry). I haven’t whined like that since the MTC.  I had a good talk with all of my housemates about taking care of their own food needs.  One of them is my DL, but he´s the one who was commanding me to feed him. They are buying food a little bit smarter now. It's mainly been a problem because the lunches have fallen through a lot in this area and we don't have enough money to pay for lunch and dinner. Their reasoning in taking advantage of me, is that the rich American will pay for things because he has money. Usually they buy things that don't last a long time, and don't really fill you. I've recently gotten into the habit of buying spaghetti because it's SUPER cheap here (like, less than a dollar for a normal package.) An added advantage is that
my housemates don't like spaghetti that much, so I have been able to make it by without dipping into personal funds.
            Everything's going well here, and we've been baptizing every week! The other elders are destroying their teaching pool because they're all getting baptized! We are planning a baptism for L.’s granddaughter.  She has been to church with her grandmother since her grandma started investigating.  She is only 10 years old, so we will be teaching her every day this week to make sure that she is ready. 

July 29, 2014
            Well, one of our investigators/recent converts fell in love with my companion.  Haha, at least, we think so.  But that is okay since because she is 90!   She seems to be a lot happier and says that she feels a lot closer to God.  It seems that her time on earth is coming to a close quickly.  She literally says things like, “What do I have to do in these last days of life to go back to God?” 
It is very unusual to see storm clouds in Fortaleza
July 30, 2014
            So today in our district meeting I learned very little, and what little I learned was shot down by my companion.  It was a frustrating meeting, but I am learning how to control my pride and keep my mouth shut.
            We are still working with V. towards baptism this weekend.  She is doing well with living the Word of Wisdom.  Even the kids down here drink coffee like it’s water so it is always a challenge for our investigators to give it up. We are teaching a bunch of families which is harder to do than teaching individual people because there are so many different people with different needs and opinions.  One of our families wants to be baptized but they have to get married first. 

July 31, 2014
             We had our interviews with our new mission president today.  It went well, but he seems like a new missionary in the field, kind of scripted and robotic but it was all good.  After our interviews we at ate Burger King! Oh it was glorious.  Sadly, just about everything else in our day fell through.  We taught some heavily medicated people, and some old folks, and yeah… not a whole lot of success. 

August 1, 2014
             Well literally everything fell through today, including lunch.  In the past 2 weeks, we have eaten in 2 members homes.  It is starting to become a hardship for us because we are not given the budget we need to purchase an extra meal every day. It is also hard to take the time out of our schedule to buy and prepare a noon meal.  Every single one of our appointments fell through today except for our dedicated 10 year old who is prepared for her baptism!  She saved the day from being a total wash.  She passed her interview and chose my companion to baptize her.  She is super excited and I am just praying that L. will continue to help her grandchildren come to church.  They are depending on her for sure.

August 2, 2014
            Today we basically ran all over our area confirming with our investigators church attendance tomorrow.  A bunch of people said that they would come, but as my companion says, “I only believe by seeing.” Sadly, it is true here.  Everyone gives their word, but no one keeps it. 
            We taught English class today and it went well. For the most part, I taught them how to say a prayer in English, some greetings, conversations, and the verb –to be.  I am trying to think of fun games that we can play to make things more interesting.  Next time it will be more fun I think. 
            (Lunch fell through again today, big surprise.)

August 3, 2014
            We had a LUNCH appointment today!!!!!  Yeah, it was at the Bishop’s house.  We were able to talk with him for a while about all kinds of things including lunches, the ward, the mission, etc.  He likes us and appreciates us.  He told us all kinds of mission stories that left me shocked!  I never would have thought that missionaries would do such things because my purpose here is so ingrained in my head that those things never enter into my thoughts. It kind of blew me away.
            We held our baptism today!  The other elders also baptized 2 men.  I was the only one not dressed in white!  The baptismal meeting was really good and we were able to feel the Spirit.  Our first counselor in the bishopric gave a really cool abject lesson for his message.   



No comments:

Post a Comment