Monday, October 7, 2013

Culture Shock Elder Colvin Style

(I don´t have very much time left on the computer, but I´ll just give you a quick update.) 

Oh my gosh.... Talk about a culture shock! Things here are so different! 

Anyways, my flight here was horrible, long, and I could´t sleep at all. However, I did have a very fun conversation with the lady next to me, C, and I even taught her the first lesson IN PORTUGUESE! It was very cool. Anyways, I got to see some of the Elders from my district at the MTC (Awww yeah Elder H, P, N, S. !) and MITCH/ELDER ROGERS was in the same terminal as me!!! It was so cool to see a familiar face and totally unexpected! 

Anyways, the rest of the day was fairly uneventful, mainly because it was exactly the same thing as moving into my last mission, just that all the instructions were in Portuguese, so I didn't understand hardly any of it. President and Sister Souza and his wife greeted all of us and we had our pictures taken.
Elder Colvin with Sister and President Souza
Elder Colvin and Elder Gino
I got my companion, Elder G, a brasiliero, that night, and we are working in Ala Nova Aldeota, which is basically a new area in west part of Fortaleza, so I've got my work cut out for me. Especially since none of my housemates speak very much English. Elder C (from Brasil) and Elder Z (from Ecuador) both speak more English than my companion though, so I NEED to learn how to speak the language very quickly! I´m basically surrounded my Portuguese about 95% of the time. It´s definitely a challenge that has humbled me a lot. Elder Z is from Equador and has lived in Rio for the past 8 years. He knows the most English, so I´m always shouting ´ÉLDER Z!´ whenever I'm talking with the other elders. 
Elder Z and Elder C
 
Funny story: So my first ´lesson´here happened when we were teaching 2 people on the street, except Elder G was teaching one person in one direction and I was teaching the other in the other direction. Opa. I had literally no help from my companion for this one, so it didn't go all that well. Oh, and it doesn't help that he was bebedo. DRUNK. So he was speaking very fast Portuguese, was very drunk, and VERY happy. It was definitely interesting!

Huge culture shock here, but I will get used to it with time. I've heard that it takes 6 MONTHS to get accustomed to the language and everything, but I reeeeeeaaaaally hope that it won´t take that long! Also, the food here (just about every meal) is: arroz, frijoles, e macaron. Rice, beans, and spaghetti. Every day. My little brother would LOVE it here! 

My mini me.
We thought that the little pig toy at a members house was hilarious because apparently, because of the humidity here, I make the exact same noise when I snore as the toy... 

I found out the first day that we can´t take pictures in the city because if we do, our cameras will be stolen. We have ladrãos here. Thieves. They basically guaranteed that. So here are some pictures from inside of the car, out of my apartment window, and inside our apartment or members homes.


I´m having the time of my life and I´m looking forward to the future. Até mais!

~Elder Colvin

PS. Here are some pictures of my apartment for my Mom's interest:
My bed
Laundry

Kitchen
Our Study Area
The Bathroom
PPS. Here´s what the money is like here for my brother's interest:

No comments:

Post a Comment